Friday, November 5, 2010

The more you do it, the sooner you'll remember it...

I started Taekwondo last night.  My son has been in it for about a year, so I decided to join the adult group.  This instructor separates by age, not skill level.  Fortunately, I wasn't the only white belt, there is one other.

SO much was thrown at us last night in the hour we had.   6 different positions, 4 different commands in Korean....solar line, chest line, breath out, stretch!!!!

I'll get it.  Eventually.  But I find it interesting....I walked through my house last night (and most of today) doing the front punches...minding my chest line (lest I be attacked...by....um, a cat, maybe?).   Why do we not put the same effort into non-physical things?   The same things I was told last night.....know your enemy, know your weaknesses, use your strengths....could all be applied to prayer.  It seems we treat our prayers with a bit of levity - we do the requisite nighttime ones, and add some when we know someone sick or hurting.  I'm smart enough to realize that physical strength only comes through repetition, and from that, muscle memory.  You no longer think about the action - you do it.  Prayer shouldn't be any different.  A bit awkward at first, yes....kinda like "girl" pushups - you stick to the easy prayers.  But if I make myself pray at times that aren't normal/natural....eventually they will become natural...building my spiritual muscle, if you will.....

No comments:

Post a Comment